It's Friday and almost time for the weekend. We hope you take some time to CREATE this weekend! We have some great ideas using our DIY Craft Rolls and more from our Design Team. Kathy Clement and Joanne Bain have fabulous ideas for us today.
First, Kathy shares a brilliant "Create" sign. This is one huge sign and Kathy made it absolutely beautiful!
"Three months ago, my husband and I moved from our big family home into a darling little 3 bedroom ranch home. Since then, I’ve been very busy getting everything organized and decorated. I needed a really large statement piece for my new studio, so when the DIY challenge was issued, I headed straight to the thrift store, knowing I wanted to find something I could alter and use as inspirational decor.
It was my lucky day, because not only did I find this big wall hanging, but it was so worn and ugly, it had been marked down to half price! It had great bones, and these awesome metal scrollwork pieces on either end so I snapped it up.
Once I got it home, I asked myself, “What were you thinking?” This monstrosity was the largest DIY/Mixed Media project I’d ever tackled! It measured over 3 feet long and 12 inches high! Hey, I’m a cardmaker, remember? But, I got my Brave Boots out of the Closet of Shame and went to work. A little DIY paper, a little Cityscapes paper, some paint and mists and flower dies and ...voila! The absolute perfect statement piece for my new studio!
- DIY paper is very easy to tear. I knew I wanted torn edges, so I used the edge of a metal ruler as my tearing guide and tore one whole sheet of DIY paper into 4” squares.
- Once the background is done, lay out the rest of your elements and arrange the composition before you glue anything down. Walk away for 10 minutes, then come back. If you still like the way it looks, snap a photo with your cell phone so you will be able to remember the arrangement. Technology is our friend!
- Back the Alphabet Banners with contrasting designer paper, then trace around the insides with a black marker to make the letters pop." ~Kathy
- Wash the surface of the canvas with a damp rag to remove any dust or debris.
2. Paint the edges of the canvas with black chalkboard paint.
3. Use a ruler to tear DIY Quotes and Newsprint paper into 4” squares.
4. Use Matte Multi Medium to secure the torn paper squares to the canvas, overlapping edges and alternating patterns. Tear smaller pieces of paper to fill in any gaps and to create a more organic look. Seal the entire surface with matte multi medium.
5. Spritz the surface with Just Brown and Aquamarine Tattered Angels Mists. Splatter ink onto the canvas by opening the cap and flicking the ink onto the surface. Heat dry each layer and repeat until you are satisfied with the appearance.
6. Apply embossing paste through a stencil. Let dry overnight. Then apply Viva Decor Copper 3-D stamp paint through the stencil.
7. Paint the large chipboard clock with black chalkboard paint. While paint is still wet, randomly sprinkle with Stampendous Aged Black Embossing Enamel. Tip excess off onto paper or into a tray. Heat emboss. Glue into the center of the canvas.
8. Splatter canvas with Dylusions White Linen Spray. Now the canvas is ready to be decorated.
Graphic 45 DIY Quotes and Newsprint Paper 1 sheet
Graphic 45 Red Alphabet Banners
Graphic 45 12x12 Cityscapes
Map of the Past
Passport to the World
Graphic 45 8x8 Cityscapes
Street of Dreams
Cityscapes Chipboard 2
Cityscapes Ephemera Cards
Graphic 45 Metal Staples
Antique Metal Door Pull
Metal Door Plates
Metal Clock Keys
Graphic 45 Decorative Tape
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Skeleton Clock Chipboard
3 or 4 flower dies of your choice (I used Heartfelt Creations Delicate Asters, Vintage Florette, Classic Sunflower and Delightful Daisies)
Tattered Angels Mists
Black Chalkboard Paint
Tim Holtz Splatters Stencil
Dreamweaver Embossing Paste
Viva Decor Copper 3-D Stamp Paint
Vintaj Patina: Verdigris, Moss
Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive
Teal Czech Beads
Dylusions Ink White Linen Spray
Stampendous Aged Copper Embossing Enamel
Stampendous Marcasite Embossing Enamel
Jolee’s Boutique Vintage Pocket Watches
Natural Burlap String
Studio Matte Multi Medium
Hot Glue Gun, Heat Gun, Cutting Tools
Now, enjoy this great upcycling from Joanne! This is so gorgeous! The butterflies are amazing.
"For my upcycled project I chose to alter a box that would normally make its way to the bin. I cut the centre out of the box and replaced with clear acetate. I attached the bottom of the box to the acetate to make a solid bottom and then covered the top to create a lid that can be pulled off to get into the yummy lollies inside and best of all it can be reused. I also chose to go a little further and upcycled a Prima vine so that it coordinated perfectly with my box." ~Joanne
#4501291 DIY Craft Paper Curiosity Collage & Butterflies, #4500977 Raining Cats & Dogs Cardstock Die-cut Flowers, #4500422 Metal Brad Staples, #4501166 Bontanicabella Deluxe Collection Edition.
Other - Prima vine, lace, acetate.
Now, it's time to announce this week's blog giveaway winner! Our randomly chosen winner is....
-Sharon Smith: I've been feeling creative lately. I'd like to win some new supplies. I've decided to purge some of my 20 year old materials.
Congratulations, Sharon! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize pictured below. Thanks to everyone who took part!
What will you create this weekend, G45ers? Thanks so much for joining us this week! We'll see you Monday with lots more fabulous ideas!
Your Pals in Paper,
The G45 Family
Want to try these projects out? Visit your LSS or order online today! Graphic 45 Store Locator Link Here